Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Notes on buying a small motorbike in Peru (as a foreigner)


My shiney new bike on the day I picked it up.
really wanted to buy a second hand “big 4″ bike (i.e. Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha) but they are, comparatively, really expensive (higher prices than the states !). I was only intending to buy a small one (125cc to 250cc) but found the second hand market almost impossible to access. What I found in the end was that, in Peru, people generally buy brand new and then run into the ground ! I saw very, very few second hand bikes, the few that I saw (3) were not in good condition and the owners wanted a few hundred bucks less than the brand new price (for a 5 year old bike !), wholly unrealistic !


And so I looked to the many cheap Chinese variants that are available brand new.

I settled for an “RTM 150 G”, the second cheapest bike I could find at $672. RTM (or "tecnimotors")  claimed to be the No1 seller of Chinese bikes in Peru, 9% of all bikes sold (that has to be reassuring).


http://www.tecnimotors.com/

The buying process was quite straightforward, I needed a Peruvian address (I used my hotel´s address without the first line (name of the hotel)). I was told I needed a “Carnet de Extranjería”, I thought I´d try my luck without, and was successful (the Carnet normally costs $50 and at least 1/2 a day´s bureaucratic effort). A ”Noteria” (lawyer) has to contersign the contract between the “Garage” and myself, he asked for the “Carnet de Extranjería”, but settled for my passport instead. There was a delay of just 11 days for SUNARP (Peruvian vehicle registration authority) to produce the “Tarjeta de Propiedad” (which, fortunately, they sent straight to the garage) and I was all set. Actually, I wasn´t ! only the AAP (Asociacion Automotriz del Peru) can produce the number plate, and because of a 3 day national holiday, that was a further 7 day wait.

In Peru you need SOAT insurance (statutory 3rd party insurance) for a Peruvian registered vehicle, they ask for it at every police check point. Annoyingly, this is cheap for cars and expensive for bikes. The standard is around 550 to 650 soles for a year (approx $200) for a bike. I went to "La Positiva" in Lima and got 3 months for 300 soles ($ 105), they would not give me any less time, I only really needed about one months SOAT.

That’s all there is to say except when I tried to leave Peru ! Foreigners are not allowed to leave Peru on Peruvian plated vehicles without posting a “non-returnable bond” (an oxymoron surely?) of around $300. I did not want to pay that much for a piece of paper I´d never need again ! So I bribed my way out at the border (Yungayo), which cost me $38 (and a very sweaty 2 hours !) one day later.



The rather beautiful part of Lima where the garage was...

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi I just did the whole procedure. Bought my bike from Yamaha dealership here in tacna South Peru. Seems I did it cheaper and faster than most people who have left posts on this forum so here's how I did it.

Find friend who speaks Spanish English to translate

Go to migration get permission to sign documents stamp in your passport. 16 sol

Migration will ask you to write a contract which you can have done on the streets by a guy with a type writer. They should give you details at migration how to do this. 3 sol

Back to migration with papers.

Bike shop and buy bike

Go to notary with bike shop owner sign contract 10 sol (bike shop paid for me)

Wait 5 days for papers for bike to come..... Insure 270 sol for year and off we go.

Whole procedure took me around 3 hours (not including the 5 days for papers to come)

Seems people who did this in tourist areas paid a small fortune. Hope this helps guys have a safe trip!

Unknown said...

Ps it took a month in total from buying it to getting it on the road so go off and travel while your waiting for paperwork or buy it in a place where there's lots to do like cusco! Best regards

Masood said...

Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can"t wait to read lots of your posts. scooterhelm kopen

Unknown said...

Hoping to buy two bikes in or close to Lima about nov22. Is the process still the same

Unknown said...

Hoping to buy two bikes in or close to Lima about nov22. Is the process still the same

Mark Blackburn said...

Hi Blaine, I'm sorry, but I don't know. This post was nearly six years ago and it's over five years since I was in South America. Various emails I've had since, via this blog usually, and Eva's comments above, imply that it's rather easier now than it was then. Good Luck anyhow. Mark B

Unknown said...

Hi Blaine, You probably have your answer by now but yes. First go to Migraciones in Brena, Lima between 8-12am to get a 'permiso especial para firmar contratos' (see requirements on their website). Then buy your bike, register it at the Notary and insure it at an 'La Positiva' (cheapest atm) office. This all should take less then a day if you show up at Immigrations as early as possible. 3 hours is possible but you need to be lucky. Then wait for the paperwork to arrive but if I am right, you are allowed to drive before. Ill be doing the process again myself those days as I just returned to Peru.

Tiggy said...

Hi Andre,
I have just arrived in Trujillo and will be living here for 3 months so want to buy a bike to use as transport and explore the area. Is your advice the same when buying a second hand bike i.e. 1) Get 'permiso especial para firmar contratos' 2) Go to a notary office with the current owner of the second hand bike to confirm the contract

Are there any other stages that are required if buying a bike second hand? Do I need to ensure that the current owner has any specific documents or will the notary cover that?

Also, do you know whether the SOAT insurance would need to be renewed by myself or whether I could use the existing insurance remaining with the current owner's contract (I have heard that SOAT is transferable in Peru)?

Any advice greatly appreciated! Also if anyone else on the forum has any advice about purchasing a second hand motorcycle as a foreigner please let me know. Thanks!

Denial Mofi said...

Aw, this was an incredibly nice post. Finding the time and actual effort to produce a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and don't manage to get anything done.
motorcycles for sale

Unknown said...

Good info on Motorbikes.Thank you!

Unknown said...

The depth of articles can easily be felt of this blog. Very precise and straight to the mark. I understood easily the matter of fact which the author of this blog wanted to deliver through his thoughts. Looking for more.ซื้อ รถ มอเตอร์ไซค์

Unknown said...

Happy to found this blog. I have some facts related to this blog and I would like to share with all its readers. Definitely it is going to help everyone and aware people with some more knowledgeable points.ซื้อขายมอไซค์มือสอง