Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The End of the Trip, arrival in Ushuaia

I wake up to the ominous "pitter patter" of rain on the tent. Oh dear !, delaying arrival was a mistake !!  I wait in my tent for an hour and  it does not stop ! So I pack up (always horrible and difficult in the rain) and repair to a cafe and wait for two more hours, it still does not stop. There´s nothing for it but to don waterproofs (the zip failed a week before, so no longer waterproof !) grit teeth and go....feeling a bit disappointed that after a several days of good weather, I´m going to arrive in the rain.

There is a high pass that I did not know about, the Garibaldi Pass, it´s well into the cloud and the visibility drops to 20 feet or so, so I have to crawl along, avoiding the trucks coming the other way. After I get back down to the valley again, the Excitement starts to build !! It rather looks as if I am going to make it !!  Just 30km more to go.

Then, half an hour later, after approx 11,000 km and exactly 4 months, there it is, the wooden sign, "Welcome to the most southernmost city in the world".  I recognise it straight away from numerous other people´s finishing photos.


So I stop and take a few photo´s of my own !!  this is my moment !!, unfortunately I am the only one there so I have to use my (sad) mini tripod, I was hoping a few of "us" would be finishing (or starting) at the same time, but there are none. A few people hoot as they drive past.

After these few moments of personal triumphalism ! I head the 2km into Ushuaia, the place is instantly recognisable from photo´s, the Beagle Passage, the surrounding mountains and the ships, wrecks, yachts and cruise ships in the harbour !! For a moment there, I felt quite emotional...



Something rather incredible happens next !!  Stopped at a traffic light in the centre of town, I move to start off, there is audible (and horrible) "clunk", and the clutch has completely broken !!  I can barely believe it !!  All this way and my first really serious breakdown is 2km past the finishing post !. I end up pushing my bike to the hostel I was heading for, wondering all the time, at the fundamental inter-connectedness of all things !! Fortunately the hostel is only 5-6 blocks from where I broke down, and all down hill !







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mark! It was great to meet you in Ushuaia. We hope that you have enjoyed your last step of your incredible trip. We look forward to see some news in the blog. By the way, you can see your picture in our blog: http://siemprehaciaeloeste.com/
We also added you in our blog's links.

Take care!

Marcial and Gabriela